This guide is to help V5 owners update the cloud configuration on their Smartfire if they didn't apply any of the 2023+ firmware updates!
How to spot the issue
- Green light but doesn't show as cloud connected in the app
- Really old firmware owners will see invalid 'too hot' alerts in the app when connected via Bluetooth
Google decommissioned their IOT Core cloud in October 2023 that the Smartfire devices connected to - this has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
The cloud system changed to a new provider and so needs new configuration on the device. We issued new firmware in February 2023 but a lot of folk use their Smartfire irregularly and/or didn't proceed with the firmware update prompts in the app!
What you'll need
- Your Android or iOS smart device, within one major release of the current operating system. IE if Android 14 is the current, then we'll definitely be supporting Android 13.
- Latest Smartfire app installed on your phone
- Safari browser on mobile or laptop, or a browser that doesn't force redirection from http to https!
What to do
Run this following script on a browser on a device on the same wifi network as the Smartfire.
- Some browsers like Chrome automatically redirect to https:// instead of http:// so use a browser like Safari that doesn't redirect. It needs to be http://
- The script will advise success or failure If the script cannot automatically look up the Smartfire you'll need to find the IP address and enter that in the text field on the script page and click update. You can normally easily find the IP addresses by logging into your home wifi router and looking for the connected devices list. The device IP address looks like 192.168.1.41 and needs to be typed or copy/pasted into the script page and click update.
- If the smartfire is making a constant alarm sound ~10 seconds after powering on, then power cycle (on/off) the device, wait 5 seconds then run the script
- That will get your device across to the new cloud provider. Don't proceed with any other firmware updates yet while we assess customer progress. We'll release a new version of the app in early 2024 with a very very obvious front page alert that doesn't let you use the app unless you upgrade!