This how to guide for the Smartfire Kamado adaptor walks through installing it on on a wide range of kamado brands (Primo Grill, Kamado Joe, Big Green Egg, etc). Follow this guide for some quick tips on initial installation and usage.
What you'll need to proceed
- Smartfire Kamado adaptor
- Your kettle/bullet smoker of choice
- Pair of pliers / multi grips
The 'standard' sized adaptor basically suits all standard, large and XL smokers, basically anything that isn't a 'mini' or 'junior' size model. The adaptor has two dimensions so you rotate the desired direction and can also use the extension clip to make quick install and removal easy.
Known measurements include:
Kamado Small 45x72mm
With the optional Kamado Clip (not included, purchase separately), the height range is 45mm, 54-60mm, 72-83mm. This means you can use it on
Kamado Standard 83x72mm
Includes Kamado Clip which makes it easy to mount from the front without unscrewing side screws etc.
Turned sideways to 72mm:
Note, this adaptor ships by default with the Kamado Clip. This increases the adaptor's range to 72-86mm (83mm wide), 83-97mm (72mm wide).
This increases the range to include:
Kamado Big 95x83mm
It's recommended to buy the Standard size if possible, as its easier to mount/dismount from the front with the sliding clip.
95mm long side:
The adaptor comes perfectly flat so its recommended to introduce a little bend to the ends of the metal to match the gentle curve of the vent slider channel.
- First figure out which way you will orientate the adaptor with your smoker, generally you'll want to have it so the adaptor base plate is just short of the top channel in height, so you can use the extension clip to bridge the gap as then it's really quick to install / remove in the situation where you have an ash pan to clean regularly.
- Once you know which direction you'll be using, if you're using the extension clip put it on the top left corner
- Bend the right edge of the adaptor about ~3mm towards the back to suit the curvature of your smoker vent channel. The easiest way is with some pliers or multi-grips, but you can also just press it against a solid surface (work bench for instance) and press till you get a gentle curve of about ~3mm (1/8").
To put the adaptor in place using the extension clip:
- Make sure the extension clip is in on the top left edge of the adaptor
- Settle the adaptor in the bottom vent channel
- Tip the adaptor backwards so it's upright
- Push the extension clip upwards (I like using a teaspoon!) so it's secured in place
- Slide the vent door in behind the right edge of the adaptor so it's all air tight
To put the adaptor into the vent without extension clip (which presumes the adaptor height matches neatly with your vent height):
- Remove the metal vent slider
- Slide the Smartfire adaptor in from the right, on some Kamado's this requires undoing the right hand two bolts due to a lack of clearance.
- Slide the adaptor to position on the left
- Return the metal vent slider so it's behind the right edge of the adaptor so it's air tight
We've got setup videos for both installation methods (with and without extension clip)
- It includes a silicone red kill plug to seal the adaptor when you do not have the Smartfire Controller plugged in, it keeps the bugs out! However, on most Kamado's you'll actually be able to close the adaptor off by sliding your original vent behind the adaptor to close it off!
- The silicone kill plug is resistant to 260C so don't use it if the pit has been super hot (ie over 350F), instead close your top vents and leave it 30-60 minutes before putting the kill plug in - this will also help preserve your kamado lid gaskets.